Saturday, October 22, 2011

Warriors in Pink


A few years ago, I was about 17 years old, I went with my mom to the doctor because it was time for her yearly mammogram. She got it done and the front office lady told her that she would call home once the results were in so my mom could go pick them up. No biggie. About ten days after that day, someone called home and it was for my mom. She had to go back to the clinic and get a new mammogram because there was a "spot" on the one she had gotten done. It was scary for me and my family, I cannot imagine how my mom truly felt. My mom had to go through several sets of exams in order to truly detect what the "spot " was. Thank God, it had just been a machine error. Only a mistake. I was so happy that the results came out negative and I was brought back to life. After that incident, my mom is always on time to get her check-ups and I am aware of what to do when my time comes to start getting my check-ups.

It is October, well, we are almost done with this month and you might already know where this is going. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and that is why we see a lot of pink everywhere. Cancer is a horrible condition and I believe that no one in this world in the right mind is willing to one day get it. I am fortunate enough that there is no breast cancer history in my family, I feel blessed. However, that does not mean that one day, God forbids, one of my family members or myself might get this catastrophic disease.
I cannot stress enough how prevention is the best policy. The issue then is, how do I prevent getting cancer? Talk to your doctor, get a mammogram, live a healthy life, do regular check ups on your own... In case the mammogram shows something, early detection does make a difference. Get educated, become empowered and aware, love your life, family and friends. If you or someone in your family is fighting against cancer, my prayers are with you and with all of those who have lost a mother, a sister, a friend, a wife...

Let's be the change we want to see.

I have worn pink nail polish and my pink gladiators throughout this month because whether or not we have been affected by cancer, we should all be warriors in pink!

Susan G. Komen for the Cure Against Breast Cancer:
http://ww5.komen.org/Default.aspx
Self Exam Link and Info:
http://women.webmd.com/healthtool-self-breast-exam

Hace algunos años, yo tenía quizá 17, cuando fui al doctor acompañando a mi mamá porque era tiempo de su mamograma anual. Le hicieron el examen a mi mamá y la señora de la recepción le dijo que le llamarían una vez que tuvieran los examenes para que mi mamá fuera a recogerlos. Nada fuera de lo normal. Una semana y media después de eso, mi mamá recibió una llamada. Ella tenía que volver a la clínica para hacerse otro mamograma porque el que le habían hecho anteriormente mostraba una "mancha"en su seno. Fue un momento quebrantador para mi familia, para mí y hasta el día de hoy no puedo imaginar relamente como mi mamá se sentía. Le hicieron muchos examenes y estudios a mi mamá para saber que era esa mancha que había aparecido. Gracias a Dios, solo fue un error de máquina. Un simple error. Me hizo tan feliz saber que los resultados eran negativos, volví a la vida. Después de ese incidente, mi mamá siempre se hace a tiempo su mamografía y ahora yo también se que hacer cuando sea mi turno de iniciar la rutina. 

Es octubre, estamos ya por terminar el mes y ya sabrán a donde voy con esta historia. Octubre es el mes de conciencia acerca del cáncer de mama, es por eso que vemos mucho rosado por todos lados. El cáncer es una condición de salud horrible y creo que nadie en sus 5 sentidos quisiera tenerlo. Soy lo suficientemente afortunada de pertenecer a una familia donde la historia de cáncer de seno es completamente nula. Sin embargo, eso no impide, Dios no lo quiera, que algún día alguien de mi familia o inclusive yo llegue a padecer de ésta enfermedad. No puedo recalcar lo suficiente que la prevención es la mejor póliza. El problema es entonces, como prevenir tener cancer? Hablen con su médico, hagan sus mamografías, vivan una vida sana, háganse revisiones de rutina en casa... Si un mamograma llega a mostrar algo, la detección temprana de alguna anomalía sí marca una diferencia. Edúquense, tengan poder y conciencia sobre lo que pudiese pasar, háganlo por amor a su vida, familia, amigos... Si usted o alguien de su familia está en la batalla contra el cáncer, mis oraciones están con ustedes y con todos los que han perdido una madre, hermana, amiga, esposa... 


Seamos el cambio que queremos ver.
 
He usado esmalte rosado y mis sandalias gladiadoras en rosado porque ya sea que el cáncer nos haya o esté afectando o no, todas debemos ser guerreras en rosado.

Susan G. Komen para la Cura Contra el Cáncer de Mama:
http://ww5.komen.org/Espanol/Enespanol.html
Auto Examen e Información:
http://women.webmd.com/healthtool-self-breast-exam 
-Carol



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!/Gracias por visitar!